We are probably about a year or two away from starting to look for a new car, and true to my obsessive/compulsive self I started thinking about the qualities I want our next car to have. Fuel efficient, room for 3 people and 2 dogs with some luggage, can get to the mountains for hiking or skiing, as well as some other attributes were added to my list.
I then started to think about each of those different qualities and found that I really didn't understand fuel efficiency. The method in which the EPA mileage is determined does not come close to reflecting the driving habits that we have living in a city. Basically our driving pattern consists of my wife driving our child 2 miles each way to our nanny which is right next to her firm. During the weekends we'll consistently ski, go to lacrosse games, or bicycle races, or more often than not to meet friends for brunch.
This driving pattern is hardly what the EPA expects from a "typical" driver, though is likely quite standard for those living and working in a city with sub par public transportation. I was then really surprised to find that when someone did try to put a stake in the ground to say what mileage their car would produce under these conditions, and found they were not allowed to show their literature at a car show. Apparently Chevy has been having similar troubles trying to get their Volt rated as well.
Until the EPA changes their standard or another standard emerges I guess that I'm just going to have to troll the internet looking for real-world mileage posts from current owners...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment